Preparing Children in Other Countries for U.S. Higher Education

If you live in another country, whether you are homeschooling or your child’s school asks how they can help meet the goals you have for your children, you may be interested in the Common Core Curriculum Maps: if you are considering sending your children to a U.S. College or University. Forty-six of the United States are adopting Common Core, so having educational experiences that meet these standards will help your children when they apply for admission.

It is also helpful to Google Colleges or Universities that you may be interested in. Click on their admissions requirements.  Then click on International Students to find out more.  You should be able to learn more about requirements for international applicants, how to submit appropriate documents, what test scores you will need and whether or not you will be tested for your English language ability. 

If your children have dual citizenship with the U.S., that could be an advanatge with regard to fees.  If not, you may want to consider relocating to the United States, to the state they will attend school a year or two before they will begin their higher education.  In most cases a year or two as a state resident will prevent “out of state” fees (which are sometimes triple the cost they would be if you had been a resident for 24-48 months).  Again, look at the college’s website to get all the details.  Follow up by calling an admissions counselor if the site is ambiguous. If you need help with this process, I will be happy to serve your needs by making calls, sending letters, and assisting you in the process of working toward your family’s goals.